Simply ME...

A star or a rainy cloud,,, realistic or a dreamer,,, tough or emotional,,, a butterfly or a dolphin,,, it is all about me reflecting the transparent me!

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Let it be


One of the major things that I truely enjoy about blogging is

CHOOSING A TITLE

It sounds weird! But seriously, for me- this is the fun part! Especially when I think of the title (as I see it) the most important part and the one that gets all the attention. Why?

Because there are few blogs which I check on daily basis and those are the ones stored in my Favorites. All the others I have a choice to read or not to read- and this depends ONLY on the TITLE.

The strong ones are the titles which betray the reader! It makes me SMILE when I read a title that has nothing to do with the post itself.
Then I'd be thinking, if I was the one to write this post what title would I be choosing...

The funniest titles and the most interesting are the ones which say exactly the contrary of what the post says! This I found stimulating.

The most creative ones can make you click to read the post without a second thought, just because you'd be so curious to know what it is all about.So I believe, the victory lies in the fact that someone clicked on the post just because the title triggered the curiosity nerve, and whether the first paragraph only was read or the whole post it doesn't really matter!
Well it does in a way or another, but the point im trying to make is that people have different tastes, so it is ok if someone started to read and then stopped.

People, be creative with titles, let it be engaging, catchy and interesting. Someone might not be interested to read what you write just because you've chosen the wrong title.
And yes, titles like 'Untitled' is mysterious, it is untitled but still makes you want to read.
What I call as questions titles are also mysterious, since it makes someone reads the whole post to get to the answer.

A title makes the absolute first impression. If the title does not encourage someone to read further, what's written will never be seen.

14 Comments:

  • At January 28, 2007 , Blogger Unknown said...

    well the most titles i like is the ones when added to pictures, people usually give it a very interesting one

     
  • At January 28, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    yeah I like it too :)

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Blogger Ammar said...

    Well..one of the signs of creativity is engagement, some people are engaged with the style..in choosing the words in a post..the narrative sequence during the process of writing one, and the idea..behind a post, but it's true..that titles are important, the choice you make when deciding a title..reflects the intellectual discourse your mind is taking..and consequently trying to convey to the readers..giving them a peak at the "show".

    It's an invitation to the writer's world..which you become familiar with after a while..hence the list of favorites as you said.

    Reading is a mental journey..the Title is the destination sign.

    Good Post.

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Blogger Abed. Hamdan said...

    *hopes he is on your favorties list*

    :P

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Funny you should mention this one, I was just thinking about it today. It is getting easier to miss good posts when there are so many vying for my attention, and the titles have to really catch me!

    Of course, I thought your title here was referring to the Beatles song :)

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    Averroes... sometimes also the simplictiy counts, and how comfortable you feel and engaged when reading something.
    btw you are in my favorites list :)

    Abed. Hamdan... LOL :) maybe yes, maybe no! Just kidding :P

    kinzi... haha! see, this is the trick :D

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Blogger Ammar said...

    lol..thanx..although I don't have an actual list, your blog is actually one I always make sure to visit, you've got some cool perspectives on stuff!

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Call me traditional, but I think the title needs to reflect the content, as accurately as possible.. with a twist to make it interesting.

    If I follow a title I found interesting, and it turns out the post is about something else, I will be very annoyed. I read a handful of posts in a sitting, and I'd like to choose what I read, not get tricked into reading something I don't care for.

    This also makes me not appreciate devious ads and commercials.

    I do find sarcastic posts cool.. where someone would seem "For" something, in the title and body, but would "accidentally" reveal all the flaws in his argument. Steven Colbert does this on the Daily Show (Comedy Central) when he pretends to be a Republican, very funny!

    Interesting article! :)

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    Averroes... 'some cool perspectives on stuff!'

    ummm, I'd consider this a nice comliment.. well, thank you :D

    Samir... you have a point, but still- I see titles which are not so related to the post as creative. And after all, they are catchy, you can click read, if you don't like then stop. On the other hand, a catchy title can get you to read, like, and go on... read till the end!

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Blogger Ammar said...

    it is..cool perspective on stuff means you're smart.

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    :$ thanks again!

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Blogger Unknown said...

    yea, it's really fun trying to choose the best title! I sometimes choose the title before i start writing, and once I'm done, I simply change it:) nice post dima!

     
  • At January 29, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    nido... chosing a title before writing a post never really happened to me, but I should try it... I guess :)

     
  • At January 30, 2007 , Blogger Unknown said...

    oh yeah choosing a title then writhing the post, yup i have several of those but didnt find a post yet for it hehehehe

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home