Simply ME...

A star or a rainy cloud,,, realistic or a dreamer,,, tough or emotional,,, a butterfly or a dolphin,,, it is all about me reflecting the transparent me!

Friday, August 10, 2007

TOP secret... Shshsh

Ok another week proves it again, my recent haunting fear.. I used to feel it, or think it's true, but now there's no room for assumption.. it's a fact! Im the worst when it comes to cooking!!!!!

My problem in life is that im so impatient.. so now imagine me cooking.. it's the worst combination.. I put all the wrong things together, stir and stir so fast that whatever comes out when the mess is over would be something with no color or taste. I over spice up everything.. I put whatever I see and I always think that the more things there are in one mixture, the better the taste is.. and I realized it's not true in 99.999% of the cases!

The other day out of all the recipes I could've chosen from.. I decided to cook Thai food! Maybe because Im getting to love it .. or maybe because I thought noodles is much easier to handle than rice (I think I should get a rice cooker sometime soon).. but anyway, I have no clue why when I finally wanted to cook for the first time.. and try to show off some of my hidden talents, I thought Thai food would be the answer.

So we did this grocery shopping.. and I was so excited about the whole idea of cooking, I got all that I need.. I had my hair tied up and was wearing this lovely white apron... I had this extra energy ... I thought at least this way I won't feel guilty everyday when we eat out.. but after my big failure I think instead of feeling guilty I'll only feel relieved!!!

The problem started when I decided to use the wrong cooking pot.. I guess! Cause I ended up using hot water to get rid of the sticky things at the bottom. Then there was this issue with the meat.. I wanted to be more creative so I mixed it with a tasty sauce (which I bought earlier), then the very unexpected thing happened.. and there was this strange mixture of oil on the surface and the sauce was in all the other areas. It was the first time for me to see such a thing.. and the harder I tried to make everything mix together in one homogeneous mixture, the stranger it looked.

One of the funniest (in a weird way) things that happened lately is that as I was trying to heat up a toast... I forgot the microwave on the default power (which is 10- and I can't understand how 10 is supposed to be a default power degree), and all of a sudden the smoke started to come out .. and the smell was so bad that it took us 4 days of continuous torture (leaving the windows open and the fan on in such a cold weather) to try to get rid of it. We were lucky that the fire alarm didn't work with all the smoke!!!

Whatever I try to do, it just makes me more sure that Im not a kitchen woman.. I'd do anything as long as it's an out of kitchen activity!!! It makes me think of all the times back home when we all wanted different things to eat for lunch, and mom didn't want to make anyone upset so would just end up spending a whole day in the kitchen.. many things that were taken for granted back then are things that are more valued and appreciated now.. !!

15 Comments:

  • At August 10, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh my god Dima, so I’m the only one who thinks that noodles are easier to cook than rice :D, I suck when it comes to cooking too, everybody knows that, I just can’t cook, it’s not my thing, it’s like preparing a chemical experiment or something :D
    Well, as much as I’m sorry that you can’t cook, bur I’m happy to know that there are other girls like me around :D LOOOOOOOOOL

     
  • At August 10, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey, donot worry, we all end up bad in kitchen at the beginning then after that u get a grip of it...donto worry, now i guess i am a good cook, but back then when i started, my rice was 7'beesah...ya lahweeey...so dont worry dear...if u want i can email u some nice easy to cook recipes and u can make them in no time...talking about being nonpatient...join the club dear and i can fix a good meal like back home, in less than an hour...if u like...it is easy, just need to practise...cheer up..and have sweet dreams...
    u just reminded me that in the other side of the globe u guys have winter now...so i am not gonna say chill out...
    peace to all...
    afaf

     
  • At August 10, 2007 , Blogger Sam said...

    just follow the recipe to the t...do not try to be creative..not now , not ever....beleive me..9yrs later i've finally learned...start with easy things...and work your way up...u really dislike cooking...but i have to do it..so o well for me...u'll get better soon;)

     
  • At August 10, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hahaha, you have adventures in the kitchen :P

    I think you need to love cooking in order to be able to cook. If you do not like it, you will simply get bored and impatient. In your case, I think you should just wait a bit longer and keep trying. Practice makes perfect ;)

    Please do not attempt to start any other fires hehehe kidding :D

     
  • At August 10, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    maioush .. hahaha! yeah I know what you mean, I am happy too to hear that you feel the same way! So I guess there's nothing wrong with me :D this is what I thought too.. noodles is easier to cook :S It looks easier or maybe it is easier but then again Im not the right person to ask! For me it's more like get it done fast.. I have other more important things to do :D lol

    afaf.. Oh I hope so!! Your words made me feel much better.. so I can't really judge now! But I know that I hate it .. it doesn't mean I will be a bad cook :D sometimes I like the 7abeesah rice for a change.. ;) thank you afaf but I already have a recipe book with all the recipes collected from everyone back home..
    Oh yeah it's pretty cold here.. especially at nights! But well summer starts next month.. :D :) :D

     
  • At August 10, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    sam.. yeah this is what I learned. Don't be creative!!!! at least not now! It's funny but I thought cooking would not be a problem.. though now I feel lost in the kitchen! haha

    hala.. Oh fries!! NEVER! Nimer wouldn't even let me .. haha
    fries is a higher step.. another two or three years I guess! Anyway we can get some really good fries here so why to bother :D

     
  • At August 10, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Like everybody said, do not worry at all..Start with some easy recipes, put little of everything and taste and you can always add more.. Try to marinade meat of chicken with soy sauce and mashed garlic for a couple of hours before dinner,bake them and not only you will get good taste but it will make the meat tender and quick to cook..make some rice and sauteed veg. at the side and voila ,you'll beat best chinese restaurant in town..:D
    I think you have it in you to be a good cook,just give it time..and u have all of us to help if you ever need.. sa7tein salafan :)

     
  • At August 10, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    Noura.. yummieee! this sounds like a yummmiieeee.. the funny thing all recipes sound easy when read but I have a problem in the applying part. ;) There's another little problem though.. Nimer doesn't like garlic or onion.. so I try to avoid this as much as I can. But well we cooked something together today.. and we kept on filling our plates.. :D good news.. no!! ;)

     
  • At August 10, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great news.. :) you see it's a start..good for you.Besides,if you are happy nothing else really matters..Everything will fall into place at the right time..
    I know you have your recipes, but really if you need any ideas or any type of help,u can e-mail me..Tell Nimer that garlic and onions are good for the blood;)
    :D

     
  • At August 11, 2007 , Blogger Lilly said...

    everything will be fine, just keep on trying :)

     
  • At August 12, 2007 , Blogger Unknown said...

    Go Dima! You are finally the queen in the kitchen:D I remember how yr Nimer was describing cooking as a big pleasure! Show him what you've got:D hehe good luck habibti... and whenever you feel like ""YUMMI FOOD"" I'll Fedex you some:pp

     
  • At August 12, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    lilly.. :)

    nido... hamdilla al salameh :) yalla join the club.. haha Im glad now there's someone Im in touch with who's not in Amman - for a change!! HAHA

    Oh.. don't remind me!!! Well look at the bright side.. we're getting to know and experience all kind of food now.. Thai, Chinese, Turkish.. everything! ;)

     
  • At August 12, 2007 , Blogger PŕōuđPāŀĩ said...

    oh its to cook for two! lol il mushkeleh if u cook and it tastes bad and ur the only one having it, its fine! noone needs to know lol

    im sure u have a hidden talent, u just need fast, colorful and easy recipes, since ur hyper and on the go, w being a gemini, akid btezha2i bsur3a :D why dont u try those 30 minutes recipes, fi cookbooks heik like small booklets, they r gr8! or start with cold stuff before getting the hang of the oven, seriously, go creative and wild with salads, dips, recipes that require minimum cooking time,w ba3dein move up. am not the most by-the-book person, fa i always create something or add or subtract min recipes.. just coz i can :D

    u'll get the hang of it 7abibti, il ossa mish sha6ara, il ossa nafas :hug:

     
  • At August 13, 2007 , Blogger Mais said...

    i'm not so fond of cooking (although i'm good and can make some yummy stuff when i 7ut 3a2li bi rasi :D)
    and i mostly hate to cook when i'm alone...ya3ni when mom is traveling i live of fast food and deliveries! :(

    i always say i'm ready to stand in the kitchen for hours and make lots of dishes if someone will wash the dishes and clean the kitchen when i'm done :D

     
  • At August 14, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    PŕōuđPāŀĩ .. no the problem is when I cook and I don't like it, I don't eat.. and Nimer would keep on eating mujamaleh.. haha!! so that I wouldn't feel bad or anything.. and then I feel worse cause I don't eat and he's eating what I cooked :D The problem that I don't really have the cooking mood.. it's like I don't say Oh today I feel like cooking.. or YAY Im cooking this for lunch or dinner.. i don't have this feeling or energy to do that :S maybe with time it'll be different :D

    Oriental Arabesque.. EXACTLY! This is another problem.. when I look at all the dishes and things I need to wash after Im done.. I'd be like oh it's definitely not worth it :D

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home