Simply ME...

A star or a rainy cloud,,, realistic or a dreamer,,, tough or emotional,,, a butterfly or a dolphin,,, it is all about me reflecting the transparent me!

Sunday, November 25, 2007

long trips considerations

I have always thought that I don't have any problem with flying hours, or sleeping on planes.. I refuse to deal with any sleeping pills no matter how long the trip is, and sometimes I even find myself getting into a deep sleep before departure and nothing would wake me up.. not even the craziest landing.

But this time it was different.. and not because of the long flying hours and jet lag, or the fogs and all the delay. It was because of the airline itself. Etihad Airways!

The first and last time (hopefully) that I will think of it as an option.
A long stopover with one of the airlines would eventually equal the delay of this particular airline.

And don't get me started with how lousy their service is, they just throw food on the trays even if you're sleeping. They would do anything to wake you up. I remember in the middle of the journey with everyone sleeping, there were like 4 or 5 things thrown at me without being asked if i want to eat or not. Including Ice Cream!!! How strange is that?

Getting stuck in Abu Dhabi's airport is definitely not a nice thing, especially when it's just too small, ugly, and don't have enough chairs for everyone to sit. People would be sleeping on the floors with long queues for everything, using the phone, getting food.. hotel accommodations... anything..
The odd thing was to find in such a country with such an airport the digital screens not working, and the airport staff writing the new flights' schedules on paper boards! And people fighting their way, huge crowds, crying babies, trying to check the new departure times. Which were not even fixed, with changes done almost every hour or so.

It was an experience I'll never forget. One that taught me to book for an airline not the connection time! Having another 9 hours delay on top of the 12 stopover hours was very unbearable, considering the airport itself.
RJ, LH, KL, AF, EK.. GOOD JOB! REALLY!

15 Comments:

  • At November 26, 2007 , Blogger Sam said...

    o no...dont remind me!! i will be traveling with them soon(sooner than i expected) and yeh i hate abu dhabi airport..it is ugly! *sigh*

     
  • At November 26, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    VERY! God be with you.. I hope you won't get stuck there.. or you'll fly at a time with no fogs, I can't imagine going through all this with kids.. !!!!

     
  • At November 26, 2007 , Blogger Marvin said...

    I can't imagine! I fly every week, but I do my best to fly nonstop. Even with the most well-run airlines, flying into the "best" airports, you can figure on a 50/50 chance of missing a connection. Argh!

     
  • At November 28, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The long flights home are hardship, the long hours of delays and layovers take the fun out of it..Am surprise though at Abu Dhabi's airport, with all the news about how the country has transformed to have an airport with poor services is strange..
    I always fly home with KLM. Once I flew with Turkish airlines to save some money,and my god it took me 4 days to get home and without my luggage..!!

     
  • At November 28, 2007 , Blogger Mais said...

    many complained about Etihad lately. Some even told me they got food poisoned from their meals :S

    Next time take Emirates and go via Dubai’s airport. It’s fantastic ;)

    hope you're enjoying...

     
  • At November 29, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'v not been on a plane for the past 6 years,and my only experience is with rj...but I wouldn't mind being waken up for ice-cream or a good meal for that matter..they're showing you Love!

     
  • At December 01, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    RJ...i doubt they do a good job and yeah they throw the food in ur face, while sleeping too, beside late on runway to leave or taxi..etc...really, i would consider LH as good one and KLM too, but usually long connection time!!

     
  • At December 02, 2007 , Blogger Lilly said...

    RJ is ok not that bad i guess

     
  • At December 02, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    Marvin the Martian.. well yeah maybe when you don't have enough connection time, what really pissed me off this time was the fact that I already have a long connecting time and the flight was delayed for another 9 hours!! I don't really mind staying in the airports.. im used to that, but not when the airport is extremely BORING and ANNOYING. I used to enjoy Frankfurt Airport a lot :)

     
  • At December 02, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    Noura... I don't mind the long flying hours.. I sleep most of the time. I was able to sleep, eat, read, watch 3 movies in the last 14 hours flight. But what I hate is a long stopover!!
    It's a very poor ugly airport, I hope they will do something about it soon. What a shame!

    Oriental Arabesque... Etihad!!! a real nightmare!
    I have always used Emirates.. I like Dubai's airport.. at least it's clean, and there are enough chairs for people to sit!

     
  • At December 02, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    afaf... I love LH! not only because i was an ex LH employee.. but it's one of the best airlines I have tried. Im talking from a business class passenger perspective.

    When you get to try different airlines, you come to appreciate more what you thought was supposed to be normal. :S

     
  • At December 02, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    Lilly... It's been a long time since I last tried RJ, so im not really a good one to judge !! But from what Im hearing, they say it's not too bad.. :)

     
  • At December 02, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    Anonymous... for someone who has last flown 6 years ago, throwing ice cream etc might be a sign of love! But believe me it would be a sign of nothing but disrespect for others who would fly at least twice a year, and get to compare between the different airlines and services.
    Especially when it's a long annoying tiring flight, where all you'd want is to be left alone!

     
  • At December 10, 2007 , Blogger PŕōuđPāŀĩ said...

    omg Dima, EK ba3d RJ and LH?!

    sorry for the waste of time u had to go thru, and etihad really sux, nothing like EK, bi nazari at least.. :P

     
  • At December 11, 2007 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    PŕōuđPāŀĩ .. no i didn't mean to list them in a certain order or something. I love EK, but not their cabin crews, they're very annoying.. laugh and talk in a very loud voice and don't give a shit about sleeping passengers!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home