Simply ME...

A star or a rainy cloud,,, realistic or a dreamer,,, tough or emotional,,, a butterfly or a dolphin,,, it is all about me reflecting the transparent me!

Saturday, April 11, 2009

A.BED

Sometimes it's easy to forget that the Arabic '3' or i3 sound cannot be pronounced by non-Arabs. Having said that, it's difficult to get the Arabic names when coming from foreigners!

In a BBQ the other day, we had this really cute baby, and everyone was looking at his cute moves. I had this hilarious conversation with a Romanian girl whom I met there,

R: 'where is a bed'?
D: 'A bed?' - while watching the baby
R: 'Yeah, a bed.'
D: 'ummm no he doesn't have a bed' - confused, thinking why the hell would she ask me about that baby! he's not mine.. his mom is there
R: 'no, Im asking, where is A BED.' - stressing on the BED part
D: 'He is playing on the ground. There is no bed'!- looking around me, trying to find someone who can help with this strange lady, who's insisting on asking a question that I don't have an answer for.
The baby is not mine, ask the mom.
And what kind of question was that, to get the baby's bed to the BBQ. Weirdo! Go away!

R: 'A bed did not come?'

And then it hit me.. and I was like 'oh you mean 333333333abed'
R: 'what?'
D: 'he will be back, he went to pick up something'
R: 'Is it right - the way I say his name?, can you teach me how you pronounce it?'
D: 'Oh forget it.. it's not a problem. You say it absolutely right'!!!!!!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At April 11, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

    LOL!
    the name of one of my pakistani students is Raek, Whenevr I pronounce it right saying: Ra7eeq, he gets upset!! He thinks I make fun of his name! haha

     
  • At April 12, 2009 , Anonymous Luda Y said...

    sis I can't believe u sometimes I read the post at seven in the morning and u can't imagine kept on laughing all the time bas 3adi mush awal mara btifda7ina :)

     
  • At April 13, 2009 , Blogger MommaBean said...

    Too funny. Glad that you ive us foreigners with our abyssmal pronounciation a pass ;). I actually was absolutely certain that we would not name any of our kids something with an 3. After all, we want all of the family to be able to pronounce it...

     
  • At April 27, 2009 , Blogger and life goes on... said...

    nido.. though ra7eeq is not bad! hahaha

    Luda.. keef ana ma3aky!! ya3ni expect more similar stories.. especially nowadays that im fadieh ashghal

    MommaBean.. yeah the 3 is really hard to pronounce.. Im definitely going to avoid anything with the 3 or 7.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home